I like to buy a whole pumpkin rather than one that has been chopped up into pieces. I bought a whole Queensland Blue and so far I’ve made a smoothie with it and this delicious soup. I like texture in my soup and lots of fibre so I don’t peel the pumpkin and I add corn or pieces of carrot for texture. I’m planning to make homemade gnocchi with what I have left so keep your eyes peeled for that post.
Here’s the easy soup recipe:
- 500g roasted pumpkin
- 1 red onion chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500ml veg stock
- 250g sweet corn
- Roast the pumpkin with some olive oil, salt and pepper, and a sprinkle of cinnamon for around 45 minutes in an oven set at 180 C. Prick it to make sure it’s just cooked.
- Fry the finely chopped onion lightly in the oil.
- Add the vegetable stock and the pumpkin (skin on), and cook on a medium to low heat for around 1/2 an hour.
- Blend the soup and season to taste.
- Add the corn and reheat until the corn is cooked through.
I like to add black pepper and chili flakes to mine 😋