I made my own amchoor this week and I’ve been desperate to use it. I adore yellow split peas and these nutritionally packed vegan staples are full of fibre, B vitamins and protein. Win win!!
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 cups yellow split peas
- 2 tbsp amchoor
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- Handful of peeled garlic cloves
- 1 large fresh chili sliced
- 6 cups water
- Coconut oil to fry the garlic and chili
- Rinse the yellow split peas, then soak them in water overnight
- Put the drained peas, amchoor, turmeric and garlic paste into a large pan with the water and bring this to a boil. Simmer the peas for an hour until they are soft. I blended mine at the end but you could just cook it down until it’s very soft if you like a bit of texture.
- Put 1 tbsp coconut oil into a frying pan and lightly fry the garlic and chili, seasoning with salt.
- Finely chop some cilantro to add at the end. You can also make cilantro oil like I did by grinding cilantro using a pestle and mortar with some oil.
- Put the lentils on the bottom and add the browned garlic and chili.
- Sprinkle cilantro on top.