This is one of the best snacks I know. It’s a great one to take on the go and it’s just so easy to make. There are a million different recipes out there, all using basic Indian spices which most of us have at hand.
4 cups plain puffed rice
3 cloves of garlic crushed in the skin
3 tbsp coconut oil
3 dried red chilies
1/4 cup dessicated coconut
1/4 cup chopped cashews
2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
- Heat the coconut oil gently in a large frying pan
- Add the mustard seeds and dry spices and heat for 1 minute, stirring
- Add the whole garlic cloves with the skin on, and the whole dried chilies
- Add the cashew nuts, making sure they are coated in the spices
- Add the dessicated coconut and stir it in well
- Add the puffed rice, folding it in to the spices and nuts so that it picks up the flavour.
- Mix continuously for around 3 minutes on a low heat so that the rice doesn’t burn.
I store mine in a Tupperware at room temperature. I’ve no idea of the shelf life because it disappears so quickly!!!